Thursday, September 26, 2013

Being Right vs. Doing the Right Thing




'Being Right' and 'Doing the Right Thing' are not synonymous. In fact, to do the right thing often involves admitting you were wrong, apologizing, letting someone else take the credit and so on.

Doing the right thing is not about keeping score. It's about recognizing that the only truth worth living is, "Everybody wins or nobody wins." That's Bruce Springsteen's quote, and I'm sure he won't mind me using it here (esp. since I have dedicated my life to drooling over his album covers whenever time permits).

Anyway (straightens shirts and smooths hair), as I was saying.

Being right is a tragic thing to pursue. The school system enforced this horrible notion and it's high time we dropped it collectively. The right thing is: Did you learn the math? Being right is: Did you learn it on this date, for this test, and outmatch your peers in the proving of this learning?

What a lot of effort for no pay-off except self-congratulations. Because let's be clear: the right person is no fun to be around. Haven't you noticed the lack of lunch companions?

See Stephanie's site Work Stress Solutions for more information like this.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I really enjoy your blog. But, there is a time for being right. My job is full of it. When I am in discussions about unsafe or dangerous practices by my brethren, someone has to be right, and I insist that person be me. After all, if one of my ambulance crews comes to your distress, do you want them to bring their 'AAA' game, or are you content with the B- game because no one wanted to be right?.

    ReplyDelete